Nothing beats a delicious and hot bowl of creamy mexican cinnamon oatmeal on a cold morning, so easy and just like my mom used to make it!
I served it with bananas and nut but you can go ahead and use your favorite fruit or nut or even serve it as it is, either way it’s so good, just like the picture below.
More cinnamon flavor
You can boil the water that’s listed in the ingredientes with 1 cinnamon stick and let it sit for 1 hour or half and hour so the water concentrates. You then use this water to make your oatmeal.
Milk in the cinnamon oatmeal
Use the one you prefer, I love it with almond milk but you can use cows milk, rice milk or even cashew milk for a very creamy avena or oatmeal.
I use oatmeal in so many recipes, I even have a blog post in my spanish blog where I listed my 25 favorite recipes with oatmeal but there are so many more that I have uploaded and shared since. If you spanish is so-so you can click here, it will take you to all the recipes I have that use oats. You can also used google translate on the whole page if you like.
- 1 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup milk your favorite
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or to taste
- Cinnamon optional, to serve
- Banana and nuts optional, to serve
- Cook oatmeal with cinnamon in water over medium heat for 5 minutes or until softened
- Pour milk, sugar, vanilla and heat 5 more minutes until you see the consistence you were expecting for. Just remember, while oatmeal is cooling, it continues to thicken so don't let it get dry.
- Serve with extra cinnamon or chopped nuts, your favorite toppings or banana to taste
- Reserve the rest of and enjoy for the next 4 or 5 days. I prepare that amount so my breakfast is ready for all week. To heat: I use microwave or a pot on my stove, add some extra milk if it's thick and enjoy!